CAMILLO BONGIOVANNI DI CASTELBORGO
His first marriage to Giuseppina di Villastellone was childless. His second marriage was to Luigia Candiani di Olivola, his sister's daughter and much younger than he.
He was head of division in the internal secretariat and First Officer in the Ministry of Agriculture and Commerce together with ministers Santa Rosa and Cavour.
He was also Director-General of taxation in the Ministry of Finance and a State Councillor.
His relationship with Cavour was not only political, but linked also to common interests in winegrowing, as shown by a frequent exchange of letters. The history of Neive also includes Camillo Bensò’s visit to Marcorino, in 1861, accompanied by Camillo di Castelborgo. Castelborgo's aim was to show off the proposed railway line between Cavallermaggiore and Alessandria, in the hopes of convincing an unenthusiastic Cavour to build the railway.
In 1862, Maria Luigia Candiani di Olivola, wife of Camillo Bongiovanni, inherited the estate along with her only daughter, Eleonora Bongiovanni di Castelborgo. Despite two marriages, the first with Carlo Rinco di Pallio and the second with Giulio d’Harcourt, Eleonora remained childless and was the last of the Castelborgo family. We are grateful to her for the two bottles of Pinot di Neive 1904 and Nebiolo di Neive 1925 still jealously kept in the Castello cellar.
The Castelborgo estate was managed on behalf of Luigia and Eleonora by external administrators for many years, most notably the celebrated Count Camillo Candiani di Olivola (brother and uncle to the two women) and General Martin di Montù Beccaria, a great-uncle.