THE HISTORY OF THE CASTLE
From the Counts of Castelborgo to Giacomo Stupino
The coats of arms of each of the previous noble owners are displayed in the entranceway of the castle:
and these include the Cissone, Bongiovanni di Castelborgo, Candiani and Riccardi-Candiani families. For those who would like to know more, the following is short summary of nearly three hundred years of history…
1735 | Giovanni Antonio Cissone, advocate and prince of the Forum of Turin was unmarried, wealthy, intelligent and ambitious.
On March 9th, 1735, King Charles Emmanuel awarded Giovanni Antonio Cissone the district of Santa Maria, within the jurisdiction of the city of Alba and also the ancient fief of Santa Vittoria d’Alba. These conferred upon him the right to the title of Count of Castelborgo, reversible to his nephew and heir, Manfredo.
The Bongiovanni Family
1735 | Manfredo Bongiovanni, financed by donations from his uncle, began construction of the aristocratic palazzo which later became the Castello di Neive. One of the wealthiest landowners in the area, more than 500 Piedmontese giornate, equivalent to 200 hectares were attributed to him.
He is considered to be the founder of the house of Castelborgo.
The construction of the Castello
Marble inscriptions in the Castle chapel indicate that building began in 1753.
The Castle was finished about 15 years later.
Both Giovanni Antonio Cissone and Manfredo Bongiovanni are cited in the inscriptions.
PERSONALITIES AND HISTORICAL EVENTS
1900 - 1970
In 1963 Giacomo Stupino,
together with his brothers, bought the Castello and part of the estate.